www.flickr.com

Monday, November 27, 2006

Wow...


That is all I could think when I saw this. Detention for being RIGHT?.

The arrogance of this teacher!. This guy had the nerve to say the student will be “better of simply accepting his teaching with out resistance”.

If you are wrong, you are WRONG. It doesn’t matter if you are being corrected by your student or a four year old. Granted, the teacher was embarrassed in front of his class. But by detaining the kid, he has insulted the entire profession of teaching.

If I were in his place, I would have corrected the wrong information I gave the student, apologized for the mistake, and commend the student for correcting the error. This course of action would create more respect for the teacher and give confidence to the students to speak up.

There are educators that genuinely want to teach and make a difference in a kid’s life; those who marvel in bright students that challenge them and further better themselves. And then there are others, to whom teaching is nothing but a union protected job and do not care about the students. I am so glad I went to school in India. I’ve come across so man great teachers but never realized their excellence. I wish I could go back and thank them individually for their contributions to society. Sad part is, I do not remember a single name but only faces; faces that are fading from my memories fast.

This is an eye opener for me. Now that I am about to have a baby, I can start thinking about things that will better her life when she is all grown up. May be pictures of her teachers with names are worth holding on to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha - that's craaaazy! Sad thing is I've heard of this happening more than once.

cookiemonsta said...

this is why rajan uncle says school dumb our children. home schooling is the way to go he says :)